Last weekend I drove home to the central coast to celebrate my grandma’s birthday. It still feels so unreal that we live in the same state as our families when I have been used to living in a different state from them ever since graduating college. It was a bit odd going home this time because it was the first time I had gone back to the central coast since my mom sold my childhood home. I had to consciously drive to my grandma’s house instead, where I would stay the weekend, rather than allowing muscle memory to take over and direct me to my mom’s old house.
The weekend was filled with BBQ-ing every night, picking fresh fruit off my family’s trees, and spending time outside - swimming, walks, and tennis! I hit tennis balls and practiced my serves for a couple hours on Saturday, and I woke up the next morning with the most sore, broken-feeling back of my life! I shouldn’t be surprised as I haven’t done those tennis strokes seriously for about 8 years (?), but the experience made me feel like I was getting old. I got back out there Monday as well, and things went smoother this time, so hopefully my body will continue to remember what to do.
But spending so much time in the sun made me crave some frozen treats! And this No Bake Key Lime Pie is the perfect recipe for those hot summer days! The base is a buttery graham cracker crust. The filling is made by beating mascarpone and sweetened condensed milk, adding lime juice, and folding in whipped cream. Once transferring the filling into the crust, freeze the pie for a few hours or overnight, and then it’s ready to eat! The recipe really is that simple to make, and the best part is that you don’t have to turn on the oven in the summer heat! Enjoy!
No Bake Key Lime Pie
Wait time:Serves: 12
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (~12 sheets)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy whipped cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone, room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice (~4 medium limes)
- Zest of 1 lime
- Place the bowl of a standmixer and the whisk attachment in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until well combined.
- Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish. Form the crust by pressing down on the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, using a standmixer, the frozen bowl, and the frozen whisk attachment, beat the heavy whipping cream on medium/high speed until stiff peaks form (~1 min). Transfer to a different bowl.
- Change to the paddle attachment. Beat the mascarpone until creamy, being sure to scrape down the sides intermittently.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the sweetened condensed milk. Continue beating until smooth and well combined (~5 min).
- Add the lime juice and lime zest, and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Transfer the filling to the prepared pie dish. Spread the filling and smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and return to the freezer. Chill for 4 hours to overnight.
- (Optional) Top with whipped cream and additional zest.
- Store leftovers covered in the freezer.