There is a beloved donut shop in my college town that has both mastered unique and classic flavors. It was the site of hangouts with friends, fundraiser events, and studying sessions. One of the most popular items and one of my personal favorites was their maple bacon bar. So to introduce our friends here to the flavors of home I took the maple bacon flavor combination and applied it to whoopie pies! If you like sweet and salty combinations, then you will love this one! The freshly cooked bacon bits shine with each bite while the maple undertones provide the needed sweetness to compliment the saltiness. The presentation looks impressive and fun, resembling a tiny hamburger in my opinion, but is still easy to make!
WHOOPIE PIES WITH MAPLE BUTTERCREAM
& BACON BITS
Makes 12 pies
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
2. Sift together into a medium sized bowl, then set aside:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3. In a mixer bowl, with the paddle attachment, beat together:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
4. Beat in, one at a time:
5. Combine in a separate bowl:
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the butter mixture, on medium speed until the batter is well combined.
7. Place the batter into a piping bag or a zip lock bag with one edge cut off. Pipe the batter into 2 inch diameter circles on your parchment lined baking sheet.
8. Bake for 13 minutes, until the top springs back when pressed on with your finger. Meanwhile make the filling.
9. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
10. Assemble the whoopie pies by piping maple buttercream onto one pie. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon bacon. Finish sandwich by placing a second pie on top.
1. Make the maple buttercream by beating on low until incorporated, then increasing speed to high until light and whipped:
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2. Cook until crispy:
8 slices of bacon
3. Chop the cooked bacon into tiny pieces.