As I left work Sunday night I was greeted by inches of freshly fallen snow. The streets were quiet in the midnight hour as I gently drove home on the unplowed roads. Despite the beautiful white-covered scenery I awoke to this morning, the day turned out to be a very "monday-monday", even though I had the day off - which seems like it should be illegal, right?? Home bound with my newly acquired cough I dared not chance getter sicker in the below freezing temperatures outside. The day dwindled on, leaving me time to reflect on the events of this past weekend. A month ago with our small group from church, we created a film for the church's film festival - and were finally able to watch it on the big screen along with the other films this past weekend. I won't go into the details of our film, but I will say that for all of the Harry Potter and The Office fans out there... you would love it! Another thing I was pumped about over the weekend were these AMAZING muffins - double chocolate banana muffins with peanut butter drizzle. I've been testing this recipe for the past couple weeks, tweaking here and there, and finally it came out exactly as I had hoped. The chocolate is rich and satisfying, yet stuble enough to allow the banana flavoring to have it's own shining moment. And the peanut butter drizzle - the icing on the cake, if I say so myself - bringing all of the flavors together in one harmonious muffin!
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BANANA MUFFINS WITH PEANUT BUTTER DRIZZLE
Makes 12 muffins
Total time: 45 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with muffin cups, spray with cooking spray, and set aside.
2. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil. Peel and place on foil:
3 ripe bananas
3. Drizzle with:
1 Tablespoon honey
4. Bake bananas for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, prepare the dry ingredients by mixing together:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
6. In a large bowl, mash the baked bananas until relatively smooth. Add until combined:
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
7. Mix in remaining wet ingredients:
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
8. Sprinkle half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Repeat until just combined.
9. Gently mix in:
1 cup chocolate chips
10. Pour the batter into your prepared muffin tin, filling the batter to the top.
11. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes. When the muffins are done, a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean, and when you press your finger on the muffin it should spring back and not leave a dent.
12. Allow the muffins to cool for 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack
PEANUT BUTTER DRIZZLE:
1. Mix together until combined:
1/2 cup almond milk
2 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2. Microwave for 20 seconds, until smooth and pourable.
3. Drizzle glaze over the muffin.